This township lies between the old course of the
Ditton Brook on the north and Rams Brook on the
south, both running into the Mersey. Halewood
Green, with a hamlet called North End, is near the
northern boundary. To the south-east of this is the
village. The part of the township bordering on the
Mersey is called Halebank, in which is the site of a
large moated house called Lovel's Hall.
The area is 3,823½ acres.
In 1901 there was
a population of 2,095. The country is bare and
flat, with wide, open fields, principally cultivated,
yielding crops of barley, oats, wheat, and root crops
such as turnips and mangel-wurzels. Several wide
main roads traverse the country in every direction,
much appreciated by the cyclist and motorist. There
are very few trees, but good substantial hawthorn
hedges, especially about the farmsteads. On the
Mersey bank is a fringe of flat marshy fields and mud
banks. Houses and farms are very much scattered.
The geological formation is triassic, consisting in the
eastern part of the township of the pebble beds of the
bunter series, but a fault running from the mouth of
the Rams Brook to Halewood Station throws down
these beds, and in the central, western, and northern
parts the upper mottled sandstones of the same
series are in evidence.
The township is crossed east and west by two railway lines—the London and North-Western line from
Liverpool to Warrington and to Crewe, with stations
at Halebank and Ditton Junction; and the Cheshire
Lines Committee's railway between Liverpool and
Manchester, with a station near the village of Halewood, to the west of which the Southport line
Yates map of Lancashire 1786
There are numerous roads and cross
roads; that from Hale village to Widnes runs
parallel to the Mersey bank, about half a mile inland,
and is joined by the road from Liverpool through Woolton, which is in turn joined, near Halebank Station,
by the more northerly road through Gateacre, which
runs along the western boundary. A continuation
of this road, which seems to be the old path from
Liverpool through Childwall to Hale, has degenerated
into a pathway along the boundary between Halewood
and Speke; the southern part has been somewhat
diverted, but an existing footpath to Hale village
seems to be the true continuation of it. The fields
in Halewood along the footpath are known as Portway fields, probably part of the 'Portway' occurring
in the Much Woolton charters.
In the village is a small brewery. The Ditton
Brook Ironworks by the Mersey have been discontinued for many years, but the buildings are used
for a grease factory.
Mr. Willis of Halsnead about 1790 built a staith
for loading vessels with coal.
On sinking a well near Ditton Junction station in
1881 some Roman remains were found.
The township is governed by a parish council.
The manorial history of Halewood has
been given in that of Hale, from which it
cannot well be separated. The 'wood of
Hale' is mentioned in many of the early charters, and
the rights of taking firewood, &c., and of pannage
show that the forest was in this case woodland also.
The mill upon the brook dividing Halewood from
Ditton is mentioned early.
One distinction may perhaps be ancient. It would
appear that the Irelands had Hale for their residence
and manor house, while their superior lords the
Holands fixed upon Halewood. Yet the Hutt, which
became the chief residence of the former family, is
within Halewood, just upon the south-west corner,
forming as it were a 'mere.' It will have been
noticed in the account of Hale that Maud de Holand's
manor in 1423 is described as Halewood; and down
to the last century the earl of Derby, as possessor of
the Lovels' confiscated rights, held a manor court there
The manor of Halewood was part of
the dower of Charlotte, countess of Derby, in 1628.
There are court rolls at Knowsley.
remains of the Old Hutt consist of a threestory gatehouse facing
north-west, now used as a
farmhouse, and standing just within the line of a
quadrangular moat, now dry on all sides except the
south-east, while behind the gatehouse is the entrance
doorway of the main building, an early fourteenthcentury arch with
moulded head and jambs. A
length of the inner wall of the south-west wing, with
an early seventeenth-century fireplace, and part of a
mullioned window of the same date, is also standing;
but otherwise the house, which was doubtless a quadrangular building,
with an inner courtyard, has been
utterly destroyed. The gatehouse is contemporary
with this fragment, and is built of brick with red
sandstone dressings, with a central roundheaded archway now blocked,
and over it two stories of squareheaded mullioned windows of four
transoms. On either side of the upper window are
stone panels with the arms of Ireland, Molyneux, and
Handford, and the building is finished with a pitched
roof having a large timber and plaster panelled cove
at the eaves. The farm buildings north-west of the
moated site are of stone and timber construction,
apparently of the seventeenth century, though part
may be of earlier date. One of the buildings has some
very good specimens of heavy timber 'crucks' on a
low stone base, and on a stone doorhead in the
western range is a date, partly hidden by a beam,
16 . ., and the name Iohn Irelande.
The abbot of Stanlaw complained in 1246 that
Richard de Hale and Alan le Norreys had disseised
him of 12 acres of land in Woolton; but the jury
rejected his claim, saying that the land was within
Hale, not in Woolton.
'Hale' at that time included
Halewood, otherwise there could not have been this
uncertainty as to the boundary.
In 1349 Alice, widow of Robert de Pemberton,
granted two plots of land in Halewood, called the
Wro and the Riding, to her son William; and they
were settled on William and his wife Margery, with
successive remainders to their children, John, William,
Henry, and Roger; and in case of failure, to the work
of St. Peter of Childwall. The lands had descended
in 1402 to Henry Pemberton of Halewood, who
settled them on his son William and his heirs by
Margery his wife, daughter of Simon de Hale of
In 1508 John Pemberton sold all his
land in Halewood to Roger Ogle, and six years later
his widow Alice Pemberton made a general release.
Sir William Norris of Speke afterwards purchased it
William son of Adam, son of Beatrice of Halewood,
granted to Ralph, son of Ellen, and Ellen his wife
3 acres in a field called Crosbyhouses, one headland
abutting on the king's highway on the west.
son of Richard Dawson of Denton, in 1357 sold to
Henry, son of Alan le Norreys of Speke a messuage
and 5 acres in Halewood, abutting towards the highway and towards Ruscar mill.
Robert de Dalton had lands here in 1347, and Sir
John his son, lord of Bispham, had the same; a
settlement was made in 1367, the remainders being to
John and Robert, sons of John, son of Sir Robert.
There were a house and garden and 40 acres of land,
held of Sir Robert de Holland in socage by 7s. service
yearly. In 1443 Robert, younger son of Sir John Dalton,
and grandson of another Sir John, sued Katherine, widow
of his elder brother Richard, concerning these lands;
his niece Alice was called to warrant her mother. In
1472 Robert Dalton of Bispham and Richard his son
and heir apparent leased to Robert Lathom of Allerton
all their lands in Halewood for thirty-nine years at a
rent of 40s.; and Robert Lathom transferred this
lease to Thomas Norris of Speke.
John de Blackburn of Garston in 1405 held
a piece of land called Holland Place, of the hospital
of St. John at Chester.
Halewood is called a 'vill'
in a deed of 1349; about 1470 the term 'lordship'
Among the 'Papists' in 1717 Richard Burscough
of Leyburn, and Robert and Thomas Quick registered
estates at Halewood.
Mrs. Blackburne of the Hutt
contributed nearly a third of the land tax in 1787;
the remainder was in small sums.
For the Established worship St. Nicholas' was built
as a chapel of ease in 1839; it was made into a rectory
The patron is the bishop of Liverpool.
There is a Wesleyan chapel at Halebank, built